REGISTRATION1) Who should register and by when?
2) Is there a fee to participate?
3) Should I start a team or join as an individual?
4) Can someone join my team as a fundraiser, but not attend the walk?
5) Is there a minimum/maximum number of walkers needed to start a team?
6) Where do I get my fundraising package?
7) I want to have Team t-shirts made up and bring a Team Banner. Is this a good idea?
DONATIONS8) How can donors pledge me or my team?
9) Where do I get Walk Pledge Forms?
10) Can I continue to collect donations after the Walk?
11) Are donations tax deductible?
12) Will donors incur additional fees?
13) How do I direct my donation to a Team, or Individual Participant?
MATCHING GIFTS14) What is a Matching Gift?
15) How do I get a Matching Gift?
16) Will a Matching Gift appear on my fundraising total?
WALK DAY17) What happens in the case of rain on Walk day?
18) How long is the Walk?
19) What should I bring on Walk day?
20) Will there be refreshments at the Walk?
21) Are pets allowed at the Walk?
22) Are strollers and wheelchairs allowed at the Walk?
23) Are bikes, rollerblades, scooters or skateboards allowed at the Walk?
24) I may not make it to the Walk when Registration opens. Can I arrive late?
25) Does everyone receive an Autism Speaks Canada Walk t-shirt?
26) If I don't pick-up my fundraising incentive at the event, will one be mailed to me?
REGISTERING FOR THE EVENT
Everyone attending the Walk is asked to register in advance by clicking on the registration button found on your walk location homepage. Online Registration is open up until event day.
Autism Speaks Canada Walk is our signature fundraising event, and although there is no registration fee to participate we do encourage everyone to fundraise. On average our Walk participants raise $260. For fundraising assistance, please click here.
It’s more fun to walk with others, and typically teams have will have a greater fundraising success. Walk as a Family, School, Service Provider or Corporate team or as an individual walker. If you need to change your registration from an Individual to a Team, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yes, individuals can register and fundraise even if they are unable to attend. We appreciate everyone’s support!
A team can be as small as two Walkers, but the more members, the greater the impact!
All of the resources you need to fundraise can be obtained in the Tools and Tips area of our Walk website.
Absolutely! Many Teams choose to print Team t-shirts to help build team spirit and honour their loved ones! Team banners are great too! Be as creative as you can - you never know who the local TV stations will choose to show on their broadcasts!
If you would like to add our Autism Speaks Canada Walk logo to your own t-shirt or banner, please contact us for the logo at email@example.com
There are a number of ways!
- Donate online: Fundraising online is simple, secure and safe, and donations from your donors will appear immediately on your fundraising page so you can track your success. You can also customize this page with a photo and special message. Donations made online will receive an automatic tax receipt via email.
- What do I do with cash and cheques I receive: Please be sure to record these donations and the donor’s complete mailing address on your Walk pledge form. If you need additional Walk Pledge Forms, you can download them from our Tools and Tips page. These donations are to be turned in on Walk day at the Registration area.
Download a Walk Pledge Form here. You may copy this form as many times as you need. A donor’s donation must be filled out for each donation, regardless of amount. This is the best way to ensure that each donation is applied correctly to your fundraising total and so donors who give $20 or more can be issued their official tax receipt.
Absolutely! Our Walk sites are open until December 31st so you can continue to fundraise long after the Walk is over. Fundraising after the Walk is a great way to continue to build your team spirit and continue to raise awareness about autism. Please mail donations along with a completed Walk pledge form listing the donor’s complete mailing address to:
ATTN: Autism Speaks Canada Walk
2450 Victoria Park Ave, Unit 120
Toronto, ON M2J 4A2
Yes. Donations of $20 or more will automatically be issued a charitable tax receipt. Please allow for 8-10 weeks for donors to receive tax receipts following the event. Donations made online will receive an automatic email receipt immediately following their credit card transaction. Autism Speaks Canada is a registered charity 869420208 RR0001.
No, there are no transaction or additional fees incurred by the donor.
Individual donations can be made directly to an individual or participant on a Team by clicking on their personal fundraising link and selecting their customized donation button.
If you have any questions regarding the donation process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-362-6227 ext. 212
Companies often designate a portion of profits to charity. A Matching Gift is a donation made to a charity, by way of an employee’s fundraising efforts. Typically, the donation will match, dollar-for-dollar, an employee or company team’s total fundraising. As well as matching dollars can also be attributed to matching a donor’s contribution. It’s a great way to boost, or double your fundraising! Be sure to follow-up with your donors and your Human Resources department to inquire about this opportunity.
Every company has a different method and policy for approving and processing Matching Gifts. Contact your HR department for information.
This depends…if you personally or your donor is receiving the matching gift from your employer, then -Yes. However, if your company is contributing to your Walk team a specific dollar amount, then No. In this instance, the matching team dollars will be included in your team’s overall team fundraising amount. Matching Gifts can take some time to process on both ends. If you have questions regarding the status of your Matching Gift, please contact your HR department.
All walks will be held on the date scheduled "rain or shine". Walks will only be cancelled due to severe weather warnings issued by Environment Canada.
Our Walks are 3-5 kms, and are only one element of our event! There are lots of activities on Walk day to make it fun for all! Be sure to come early to have enough time to check everything out.
We ask that you please bring your Walk Pledge Forms along with the cash and cheque donations you received to remit at Registration. Please be sure to write your name and Walk team name on your Pledge Form.
We also recommend wearing comfy shoes for walking and appropriate clothing for the weather conditions. If it is sunny, a hat and sunscreen are a must!
Light refreshments will be available at the event. We encourage you to bring water in refillable bottles for you and your family.
Many people with ASD are afraid of dogs, please consider leaving your dog at home. Service dogs are permitted at the walk.
Yes. Strollers, wheelchairs and even wagons for the little ones are all welcome. Please do not bring bicycles.
For everyone's safety, we do not allow these items.
Yes. The Registration Area remains open for one hour after the Walk commences.
The Walk t-shirt is awarded to registered participant who have achieved $150 or more in pledges. Walk t-shirts, are distributed at the Walk Registration Area ONLY on Walk day. Autism Speaks Canada does its best to accommodate t-shirt sizes, however, when is not possible another size will be substituted.
To reduce costs, ensuring that more dollars are directed to fund research and services, Walk incentive t-shirts will only be available on Walk Day. All other fundraising incentives will be mailed to participants after the Walk. Please allow for up to 10 weeks.
Participants continue to tell us they want as many dollars as possible raised through Walk Now for Autism Speaks Canada to go directly toward critically needed research and family services in Canada. We have listened and we agree. Click here to see the following rewards we offer.