FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
REGISTRATION1) Who should register and by when?
2) Is there a fee to participate?3) Can I receive a tax receipt for my Registration Fee?
4) Should I start a family or join as an individual?
5) Is there a minimum/maximum number of walkers needed to start a team?
6) I want to have family t-shirts made up and bring a Team Banner. Is this a good idea?
DONATIONS7) How can donors support me or my team?
8) Where do I get Dog Walk Pledge Forms?
9) Are donations tax deductible?
10) Will donors incur additional fees?
MATCHING GIFTS11) What is a Matching Gift?
12) How do I get a Matching Gift?
WALK DAY13) What happens in the case of rain on Dog Walk day?
14) How long is the Dog Walk?
15) What should I bring on Dog Walk day?
16) Will there be refreshments at the Dog Walk?
17) Are strollers and wheelchairs allowed?
18) Are bikes, rollerblades, scooters or skateboards allowed?
REGISTERING FOR THE EVENT
Whether you are walking as an individual with your dog or walking as a family you need to register and pay the $30 Registration Fee. If you are participating as a family only one person from your family needs to register and pay the registration fee.
A tax receipt can not be issued for your Registration Fee as you are receiving a complimentary gift and Reward tickets.
You can decide to walk as a family or as an individual with your dog. It’s up to you!
A team can be as small as two, but the more members, the greater the impact!
Absolutely! Many families at our other events choose to print Team t-shirts to help build team spirit and honour their loved ones! Team banners are great too! Be as creative as you can - you never know who the local TV stations will choose to show on their broadcasts!
If you would like to add our Autism Speaks Canada Dog Walk logo to your own t-shirt or banner, please contact us for the logo at email@example.com
There are a number of ways!
- Donate online: Fundraising online is simple, secure and safe, and donations from your donors will appear immediately on your fundraising page so you can track your success. You can also customize this page with a photo and special message. Donations made online will receive an automatic tax receipt via email.
- What do I do with cash and cheques I receive: Record these donations and the donor’s complete mailing address on a pledge form. If you need additional Pledge Forms, you can download them from our Fundraising Tools page. These donations are to be turned in at the event in the Registration area.
Download a Pledge Form here. You may copy this form as many times as you need. A donor’s donation must be filled out for each donation, regardless of amount. Tax receipts $20 or more are issued official tax receipt.
Yes. Donations of $20 or more will automatically be issued a charitable tax receipt. Please allow for 8-10 weeks for donors to receive tax receipts following the event. Donations made online will receive an automatic email receipt immediately following their credit card transaction. Autism Speaks Canada is a registered charity 869420208 RR0001.
Note: registration fees are not tax-deductible.
No, there are no transaction or additional fees incurred by the donor.
Companies often designate a portion of profits to charity. A Matching Gift is a donation made to a charity, by way of an employee’s fundraising efforts. Typically, the donation will match, dollar-for-dollar, an employee or company team’s total fundraising. As well as matching dollars can also be attributed to matching a donor’s contribution. It’s a great way to boost, or double your fundraising! Be sure to follow-up with your donors and your Human Resources department to inquire about this opportunity.
Every company has a different method and policy for approving and processing Matching Gifts. Contact your HR department for information.
All walks will be held on the date scheduled "rain or shine". The Dog Walk will only be cancelled due to severe weather warnings issued by Environment Canada.
The Walks can be as long as you like! There are also lots of activities on the Dog Walk day to make it fun for all! Be sure to come early to have enough time to check everything out.
Aside from your special pet, supporters and your fun side, we ask that you please bring your Walk Pledge Forms along with the cash and cheque donations you received to remit at Registration. Please be sure to write your name and Dog Walk team name on your Pledge Form.
We also recommend wearing comfy shoes for walking and appropriate clothing for the weather conditions. If it is sunny, a hat and sunscreen are a must!
Light refreshments will be available at the event. We encourage you to bring water in refillable bottles for you and your family. Please do not forget to bring your pet's necessities.
Yes. Strollers, wheelchairs and even wagons for the little ones are all welcome. Please do not bring bicycles.
For everyone's safety, we do not allow these items.
Participants continue to tell us they want as many dollars as possible raised through Autism Speaks Canada to go directly toward critically needed research and family services in Canada. We have listened and we agree. Click here to see the following rewards we offer.